By: Ken Kraemer
Our industry was a part of some great things this past year, and we definitely have a lot to be proud of.
• we increased our industry focus on youth outreach, coordinating and sponsoring several events like the Building a Better WI Expo, Building Advantage Career Fair, Tech Terns and CADRE Yo Pros high school programs, the MATC Apprenticeship Banquet, and the DWD Youth Apprenticeship Information Session.
• our apprenticeship enrollment continued to rise, with the highest levels across all trades that we’ve seen in that last seven years.
• our contractors and tradespeople are on track to work 15 million man hours again this year
• we provided valuable input and informed local policy decisions on the changes to the Residents Preference Program, and the City’s Lead Pipe Replacement Task Force.
• the Milwaukee Bucks new arena, along with the new City of Milwaukee parking structure, arena district plaza, and Bucks practice facility, and the all broke ground in the Park East this year, and will create an estimated $1.3 billion in development over the next ten years for Building Advantage members.
• work has started on deconstruction of the downtown transit center site, and in the spring construction will start on the 44 story Couture building in downtown Milwaukee.
• our union contractors and trades won multiple important awards, including Top Projects of the Year, and Newsmakers of the Year for the construction industry
With all of these exciting things going on, there is no better time than now to work in the union construction industry.
We plan to continue these great successes in 2017; thank you for allowing us to promote the union construction industry.
Happy New Year!