By: Ken Kraemer
Our industry was a part of some great things this past year, and we have a lot to be proud of.
• Our increased industry focus on youth outreach led to more trades and contractors looking to provide youth apprenticeship opportunities, a rise in attendance at our Building Advantage Career Fair, and the continuation of programs like TechTerns.
• Our commitment to the apprenticeship program and careers in construction remained one of our main focuses. Apprenticeship numbers continued to rise again this year, with the highest numbers we’ve seen since 2009.
• Our contractors and tradespeople are on track to work over 16.2 million man hours this year – that’s over a million more man hours than last year!
• We believe that there is no economic development without workforce development. We’re proud to work with city and county officials in their urban development planning as we continue to expand our skyline while also providing responsible workforce development.
• There is over $2.3 billion worth of current development in Milwaukee and the surrounding areas. We’re proud to say that Building Advantage members have a strong presence in these developments.
As we reflect on the successes of 2017 we cannot help but be excited for 2018, with even more projects in the pipeline. There is no better time than now to be part of the union construction industry. We plan to continue these great successes in the new year and we thank you for allowing us to promote your efforts.